January 4, 2022
AGBU Toronto Year End Update: Humanitarian AID, Charitable Donations, Support of Educational and Cultural Programs, Scholarships, Young Professionals, Sports Program
2021 was yet another tumultuous year, dominated by Covid-19, lockdowns, economic instability and political uncertainty in Armenia, draining most of us emotionally and physically, however AGBU Toronto continued its activities, mostly online. On social media we presented business seminars, panel discussions, as well as cooking & talent shows keeping the Armenian community connected through these uncertain times. We also continued with AGBU AVC chess classes in 3 levels.
Once Covid-19 restrictions were eased, we were able to bring members of the community together in person with weekly indoor and outdoor hantibooms.
AGBU Toronto remains committed and dedicated to its membership and athletes; accordingly, we rented centrally-located gyms to accommodate our member athletes and continue our basketball programs. We look forward to having our members continue to develop their friendships, sportsmanship and athletic skills under the AGBU banner for years to come.
Our Young Professionals have been active and successful in bringing YPs together and raising funds for AGBU Armenia projects.
We also took advantage of working from home to review and save AGBU Toronto historical photos into the AGBU Global archives.
Our community, donors, volunteers and members continued to demonstrate their generosity, determination and commitment to overcome obstructions and worked diligently to help those in greater need by supporting AGBU’s mission & programs by providing humanitarian aid relief to Armenia, Artsakh and Beirut.
Together, this year with the support of our generous donors and volunteers, AGBU Toronto has:
- Provided $102,200 in Humanitarian Aid
- Proudly Awarded $ 30,000 in Scholarships to 13 deserving local university students
- Supported local charities: Churches, Saturday School, Hospital, Food bank in the amount of $12,500
Our relief programs served as lifelines for tens of thousands of Armenians in need of our help.
- We sponsored the first session of AGBU Camp Nairi for the children of fallen and injured soldiers from Artsakh. Our support made it possible for these children personally affected by the war to experience an enriching and supportive summer camp in Armenia.
- We empowered women and supported gender equality in Armenia, through AGBU W.E. program.
- We supported the Senior Dining Centres, that provide daily hot meals to more than 600 pensioners.
- We supported the Children’s Centers that ensure that all children have access to after school cultural programs and have the means to develop their talents in performing arts, computers, crafts, dance, gymnastics, language and music.
- We supported AGBUxTumo Centres for Creative Technologies that provide free education for teenagers ages 12-18 specializing in technology and design.
- Through the AGBU Global Relief program, we helped provide immediate relief and longer-term assistance to Armenians facing crises across the globe. We provided food boxes, hot meals, medical supplies, warm clothing, and basic needs, financial assistance, trauma counseling, among many other life-saving and life-changing support programs.
Without the support of our members and friends, the above life changing help would not have been possible.
For the list of 2021 donations, you can visit: https://agbutoronto.org/support/
On Behalf of AGBU Toronto we wish our members and friends a happy, healthy New Year.